Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wanna carry my life in a bag...


WOW!!!! what a weekend. Well the huge hassle that i wasn't looking forward to worked out perfectly. A friend knew someone that works the VIP entrance this season at Red Rocks, so we didn't have to wait in line at all. That was the biggest help out. By the time we get in the door, i have usually had a full day in the sun, with beers and whiskey, so my attitude reflects that. And by the time all my "friends" come in, they push me off my space that I have saved all day.
So, that didn't happen this year. We didn't have to do the line, nothing. My friends went in at door, though the VIP entrance, got our space, and didn't have a lot of trouble. Jeff and i entered the venue AFTER doors and wandered to our spot, waiting for us. PERFECT!! no stress, nothing...

The shows were spectacular, mainly because i was so relaxed. The boy were hot!!!!
I saw a few new stickers that i liked...
1) Bye George... the band's back. (it even gives me chills typing it)
2) I like what I'm Herring..
for the Widespread Panic-ly challenged.. here is the brief history.
Michael Houser- original guitarist- nicknamed "panic" in college. He met a guy that could play the bass (JB) and the rest became the band Widespread Panic... In 2000 Milkey was diagnosed for Pancreatic cancer. The band kept recording and touring.. non-stop almost. It is what Mikey wanted. They came to RR about 3 months before Milkey passed and it was the saddest show i have ever seen. He was so small and weak, but his guitar was Smoking!!!!! he could still play his heart out. Mikey died. very sad...
A new guitarist was picked, though a lot of rumors of how it came about. George, oh George. I read an article in rolling stone or relix that likened George to a Dialysis machine. It got the band though, but not on it's top legs... There was a time that i actually broke up with this band due to George and the badness that the band was producing at the time..
Well all hell broke loose about a year ago... George and the band had a fight, on their way to a gig in Austin, they swung my Mississippi and dropped the fucker at his doorstep. Good riddance we didn't need you anyway.
They the gates of heaven opened and Jimmy Herring (Almond Brothers, The Dead, Phil and Friends) came our way. The band is back. Jimmy plays with all emotion and power that the songs were written and composed with. Again, just typing this makes me so grateful that i have this reaction to live music and this band!!!!
So, back to the dialysis analogy, Jimmy is the transplant that gives life back to the ill.
WE GOT THE BAND BACK!!!!!!
So, we were in row 10 the first night (that's really friggen close) and then row 12 the second night. Both nights set lists are great. It seemed they came on stage friday, asked all 9,000 of us to turn around and bend over, because they spanked the whole crowd Friday... what a great set, and it hear the songs played correctly and have the guitar jams that only jimmy can add, what a great show..
Saturday didn't disappoint either... We had a great crowd of people. Lots of friends all enjoying what is Widespread Panic.... I gave out some cut up watermelon at set break. It is such a hit at that time of the show. Everyone was grabbing pieces and giving me hugs for it. Too much fun.
Oh and i got a I (heart) JB button!!!!

Friday and Saturday the doors were at 5 and show at 7 (or there abouts). Sunday is like church. doors at 2 show at 4. the whole thing during the day, which is a strange way to see panic. But i don't go to church regularly, and this is my spiritual reprise. Sunday Panic, don't miss it.
But by the time Sunday rolls around, most people drop off. It is a hard day to get up for if you let it all go Saturday night. So, we stumbled there right at doors, 2pm, and found our friends. We were way back at row 22. Not bad for Sunday not trying. The show was good. a lot of slower songs, but it goes with Panic in the day light. They have a song, not one i really like, but it is called Flat Footed Floozie. great name. Well i was sitting next to some friends of friends that i didn't know and noticed one guy had a cool beer koozie. It was blue with some bare feet on it (grabbed my attention being barefoot and all) and i looked closer and it said "Flat Footed Koozie" Fucking loved it. so i started asking about it, he introduced me to the guy that made them. He said he sold them all a few years ago, but always gets comments about the one he has. The suddenly he reaches in his back pocket and grabs one and gives it to me. I was SOOOO excited... I even used it last night on my beer that I drank playing ball with my dogs.
I wish i was on my way to LA (three nights starting tomorrow) then SD.. and a bunch of my friends are heading to Vegas next Tuesday for the show...
I will be here, waiting for my trip to California for another band String Cheese Incident.. Completely different kind of band, but same emotions it brings me. more on them later
and i need a weekend to recover from this last one...
(by the way - i took this picture of JB in the chicken suit at Haloween in Vegas last year)

2 comments:

Whitney said...

chicken suit...too funny!!

barefoot317 said...

yeah, i think it is a hoot, or wait, a cluck...
love the feet :)