Friday, April 04, 2008

ROCKIES HOME OPENER TODAY~ GO ROCKIES

I think i am going to cut out of here a bit early today to catch the opening game for the Rockies at home.. Very exciting. I got a call from a friend at about 11:20 and he was on his second Vodka Tonic, getting some grub and the heading into the game.
It is sold out so i am going to pick up a sixer on my way home and watch on my sofa...
So everyone needs to don some Purple and root, root, root for the home team!!

We do have tickets for the braves run when they come in about three weeks. We were going to go on the 7th, but to be honest, you have to get pretty lucky to get a good spring baseball day in regard to weather and I am usually not that lucky, so i will leave most of the spring games to watching from home.
Ok, so i just left, I know i was so quick you didn't even notice, but i have to tel you my adventure..
I am starving, it is close to noon and time for lunch. When i get over hungry, usually nothing sounds good to eat. Strange hunger, but it happens. Today was no different. I am starving, nothing sounds good to me, so what i usually do in that situation is head straight the closest McDonald's. I know, stop judging, it is easy, quick, no decisions need to be made, just order and eat. That is what i need. So that is what i do. I get there, wait in the long line of dry wall worker's trucks, Middle aged men's sport cars and busy Stay-at-home moms' mini vans to get up to the speaker, only to see a sign stating that their credit card machine is down and they are sorry for the inconvenience. I start to pull out of line as the lady say's "can i take your order?', I respond, No thanks and pull out of line. I get into a parking space and grab my GPS. (yeah, well i never have cash on me, what can i say...) I punch in find places, restaurants, fast food, and then it tells me that there is another one not too far away. I hit calculate route and it tells me how to get there. I am on my way when i remember that i know where it is and have actually frequented that one when i was house sitting for a friend for a while a few years back. Great! I follow the instructions and low and freeking behold, the place is GONE. I mean not just closed, but GONE. removed, replaced by a strip mall, i shit you not... so now, here i sit, back at work still starving. UGH!!! maybe i should have stayed in bed.
I am going to take off early now and try to get some lunch at about, oh I don't know, 4PM...
Here are things that share the Home Game Opener for the Rockies.

Alcohol Free Weekend begins today. The National Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependence asks every American to refrain from drinking any alcoholic beverage this weekend. If you can't, please get help. (ok, well maybe they shouldn’t have tried to put it on the week that all the baseball stadiums in the US open for the summer. Are you kidding me? This should be National Drink What You Can week. Just my $.02)

Today is National Cordon Bleu Day. (No, thanks, not a fan at all… )

Today is Victims of Violence Holy Day. The sponsoring group, King Days of Respect in Chicago, say wearing black today shows visible respect for slavery victims, rape victims, and missing children.

Today is Paraprofessional Appreciation Day, created several years ago in Missouri to honor paraprofessionals, especially in education.

Today is Vitamin-C Day, marking this date in 1932 when C.C. King first isolated the vitamin at the University of Pittsburgh. (and I am doubling up due to my cell-mate is sick and I AM NOT going to be for my birthday)

Hate Week begins today, according to George Orwell's once futuristic novel 1984. (Got that covered..)

Today is Independence Day in Senegal. (Yup. April 04)

1974: Hank Aaron of the Atlanta Braves tied Babe Ruth's home-run record by hitting his 714th homer in Cincinnati. (Gotta love the game)

1988: Prudential Insurance lost $11-million in loan repayments because a typist left off three zeros at the end of a million dollar figure. (D’OH)

1992: Billionaire Sam Walton, founder of Wal-Mart, died of cancer at 74. His retail store chain helped make him one of the world's richest men. (and biggest importer of Chinese goods, think about what economy your purchases are really improving when you throw your money down~ imported beer does not count J )

1995: Reuter news service reported that a farmer in Karnataka, India, scared wild pigs away from his crops by playing Michael Jackson tapes. (I can’t really h

1996: Larry LaPrise died at age 83 in Wendell, Idaho. In the late 1940s, he wrote "The Hokey Pokey," still played, danced, and skated by children throughout the world. The first group to do "The Hokey Pokey" were patrons of an Idaho ski lodge.

1999: A tanker-truck overturned near Marlborough, Connecticut, and spilled 3,000 gallons of milk. Nobody cried over it, but firefighters had to spend hours cleaning it up.

2002: A 16-year-old bank robber in Rochester, New York, has such poor handwriting the teller couldn't read her note. By the time the teen was handed a bag of money, it was closing time and other employees were locking the doors. The robber wound up trapped in the foyer with the cash, where police captured her.

2005: The body of Pope John Paul II lay in state in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome where millions were expected over the next three days. Cause of death for the 84-year-old pontiff was septic shock and cardio-circulatory failure.

No comments: