Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Three days, not like anybody is counting

so three days to go and only two more of work. I am really looking forward to getting up Friday morning to a Mimosa and a shower. I got the oj on one of my three trips to the grocery store on sunday. The hint was all he needed because my boyfriend called from his car on his way home from a meeting last night and asked if i wanted anything from the liquor store. I said, sure pick up a six pack of Sierra Nevada. Not knowing where he was going, i wanted to stay with something safe that they would carry. A little while later my boyfriend comes home and says "I am sorry but i passed on the Seirra." I was flipping though a magazine and didn't really think much of it, so i looked up and was saying that's ok when i saw that he was holding 2 six packs of Green Flash West Coast IPA>. If you have been reading long enough you will know that aside from Bell's Two Hearted Ale (that i will be drinking this weekend and can't get in Colorado) the green flash is my favorite!!!! We have a hard time finding it around here so i was SHOCKED when he had two sixers.. AWESOME!!! Oh and why i started that story is that he picked up some champaign also. I think my hint of getting OJ showed that i am serious about the mimosas.

Why mimosas you ask.. well it seems to be a great morning drink for one. i mean you get your vitamin c AND a nice gentle bubbly buzz.. It seems to also be a drink for me when i accomplish something that i never thought i would. I had mimosas before my college graduation(ok and in a water bottle during), I had a mimosa the morning after my sister got married. and now, i am going to have one on my 35th birthday..
It just seems appropriate. Like most kids if you asked me when i was 12 if i would ever be this old, i would say that 35 is about as close to the grave as i can imagine and no, i would never get that old. When i was about, oh i don't know, 19 to 27 you would have thought i was TRYING not to make it to 35... and now, WOW!!! I did (barring nothing happens between now and 4:58 Friday afternoon. Is that east coast time, I thnk it is.. so it will be 3:58 in Chicago, right...
I will guess that we will be on the el-train somewhere in the city trying to get to the hotel when i turn exactly 35 years old.. I will give my mom a call and she will remind me that she didn't get dinner that night because she was delivering when they went around to ask for the meal requests. And since i was a C-section, it took a little longer. I will say that i am sorry. She will tell me how much it hurt and that she can't wait for me to have the same pain.. (no she isn't jewish, but i know, you would think.. :) Then i will proceed to hear about everything that i have done in my life, that party i had in high school where all the porch furniture ended up in the lake but I was sure they would float. And the time I drove my brand new Mustang through the christmas tree field at 10Pm and told my folks when the came driving up the drive way and caught me, so I said that i was looking for my watch i dropped. It sounded good to me at the time.
Well more birthday musings to come....

Did you catch the Rockies game, yeah, well i was watching the basketball game too.. But i watched the game up to the 8th inning and saw the Braves earn one run before i turned it over to the basketball game for the last period. Then i heard this morning that we won!! no kidding, about time, right. Well our man Holliday hit a two run home run to bring up one over in the 8th. We went on to win. Not bad for the Division Champs that are currently ranked LAST friggen place.. again.. we are used to being down here. I just hope that we can climb out before it really starts to count. Cant tell the season by the frist 5 games, but really.
They are playing again tonight and then tomorrow. I think it is an afternoon game on Thursday. But the kicker is that we are under a winter storm warning starting tonight and going into Thursday. (Boy am I glad i am not playing softball thursday- it is going to be COLD!).
Well that's all, here are some things that have nothing to do with my birthday or baseball. it's a shame I know...

Today is Counter Stool Memorial Day, a day to see if you can remember the last diner or lunch counter where you spun round-and-round on a stool at the counter. Is there still a place where you can do it again?

Today is Children's Day in Florida (always on the 2nd Tuesday in April).

Today is Tutor Appreciation Day. (Thanks for all your hard work)

Today is National Notice a Wildflower Day. (Not when there is still snow on the ground.. UGH!)

Today is Draw a Picture of a Bird Day. (Here's my bird, of course he's pooping, now draw yours.)

Today is Trading Cards for Grownups Day. (whatever)

Today is National Peanuts Kids Baseball Day. . (Sorry there was one thing about baseball, not my fault it is the best sport ever.)

Today is Hammerin' Hank Day, marking Hank Aaron's 715th home run, breaking Babe Ruth's long-standing record, on this date in 1974. Hank's record of 755 home runs is still standing. (What?!?, it wasn’t planned! I swear)

1974: Hank Aaron of the Atlanta Braves hit his 715th career home run in a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, breaking Babe Ruth's record. The homer was off pitcher Al Downing. (Same story, doesn’t count)

1975: History’s oldest canary died in Hull, England. Joey, owned by Mrs. Kay Ross, was 34 years old. ( I made it longer than a canary, there is something to be said for that. I don’t know what, but something)

1986: In a landslide, actor Clint Eastwood was elected mayor of Carmel, California.

1988: The Rev. Jimmy Swaggart was defrocked by the Assemblies of God church after he rejected an order to stop preaching for a year.

1989: "Entertainment Tonight" hostess Mary Hart married producer Burt Sugarman. (and I care because???)

1990: 11-year-old Richard Daff Jr. of Crownsville, Maryland, bowled a perfect game. He is believed to be the youngest bowler ever to score 300.

1992: Britain's top humor magazine Punch published its final issue. It had lasted 151 years.

1994: The grunge rock group Nirvana’s lead singer Kurt Cobain committed suicide in his Seattle home. (tragic loss to music- for real)

1995: Associated Press reported that Virginia prisoner Robert Lee Brock’s lawsuit for $5-million against himself had been dismissed in state court. Brock claimed he had violated his own civil rights by getting himself arrested for grand larceny and asked the state to pay the $5-million because he had no income in prison.

1998: Japan slapped restrictions on the use of flashing lights on television after a "Pocket Monster" cartoon made thousands of kids sick. Some 680 children were rushed to hospitals after being thrown into fits by the cartoon show. Another 10,000 reportedly suffered convulsions and blurred vision.

2001: A Valparaiso, Indiana, couple who met through their mutual love of jogging were married in their running shorts after completing a 5-kilometer race in which they competed against their pastor and best man. During Wanda Johns' and Clarence Melion's wedding, the Rev. Duane Schmidt told the sweaty couple they were starting the "marathon of life." Johns' racing outfit included a white veil attached to a baseball cap, a wrist corsage and a white lace garter.

2006: A White House spokesman said President George W. Bush approved a leak of classified information, as charged in the I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby case, because it served a "public interest" and did not compromise security.

No comments: